Tuesday, April 21, 2009

visit with the hematologist

Everything went well this morning considering that I had to take both boys. There wasn't a whole lot for the doctor to do. She went over Aidan's medical history and his medicines. We talked about the last MRI's. She was very nice, which, after Friday was not what I was expecting.

So basically, they drew some blood to run some tests. While the nurses were trying to find the vein in Aidan's little pudgy arm, he started smiling and when one of the nurses started talking to him, he looked her right in the eyes and gave her a huge grin. I'm guessing they were tickling him. The doctor also wanted us to go back to the eye doctor to have him dilate Aidan's eyes to check for any bleeding there. They were able to get us in there in the morning. So it's back to Charlotte we go tomorrow at 7:30am.

In addition to all of that, the doctor also wants to do a full body x-ray to make sure there is nothing going on that would contribute to the bleeding. I'm not exactly sure how all of this is correlated to him having a bleed in his brain, but what do I know!? If the blood work comes back normal then they will run more tests to rule out the "rare" diseases that could cause this.

So, I'm praying that we find out what is causing the bleed with this first battery of testing. I certainly don't want him to have some rare disease that is the culprit. I can honestly say that I can't take any more surprises. I know the Lord only gives us what we can handle, so I'm letting him know in advance that I'm full to brimming with all I can take at this point.

In contrast to all the not so great stuff going on, Aidan has been amazingly alert since he's started feeling better. He is making more eye contact and is smiling more than I've seen since he first smiled at us.

So, that is what happened today. I will post an update tomorrow after the visit with the eye doctor. Please pray that the doctors are able to find out what is going on. I had a dream about Aidan this afternoon after we got back when Evan decided that it was nap time. He was doing much better in the dream and was showing me just what his temper and personality were like before the accident. He wasn't completely better, but he was getting there. I hope it's a sign of what's to come. I'll take Aidan at his worst if it means he can be normal one day.



Unknown said...

Thank you for the updates. You DO have a lot of people praying for your Family.

Some days are going to be better than others. Keep hanging on to hope. We love you guys...

Luke's Mom said...

I have noticed many times in the past that after Luke goes through a tough time physically, he usually starts to do something new. I don't know exactly why, but this has been true time and time again. I've also heard this to be true for other kiddo's like ours.

Praying that God will continue to give you the strength to get through another day.

Love in Christ,