Sunday, April 19, 2009

Well, we THOUGHT he was going home ...

I left the hospital last night for a little bit to run an errand for Erin. At that time, he was still off the oxygen. When I got back around 1AM, the oxygen was on. I asked the nurses and found out it was because his sats were all over the place again. That pretty much resets the 24-hour scenario. They took him off the oxygen again about 9 this morning.

I am beginning to get a little miffed at our nurses on the Peds floor. 2 nights in a row, he has had "blowouts" of pee and/or poop late at night. The nurses say they have been changing him, but I have been asleep or not here when they did it. Maybe it's the antibiotics (diarrhea) or the fact they had been pumping so much saline into him (urine), but I'm also having a hard time believing that he can have these kinds of things happening only 2-3 hours after changing him. He has rarely if ever done that at home.

They also don't appear to be doing basic "technical support" when Aidan is showing issues. Through most of last night, his sats were all over the place again even after he was put back on oxygen. I repositioned his sensor and, lo and behold, he's no longer all over the place! Now tell me: wouldn't you expect someone who had gone to school for 8+ years of medical training to do that before an Eagle Scout IT technician whose last medical education was for his First Aid, Lifesaving, and Safety merit badges 15+ years ago to do the same?

I spoke with one of the other Respiratory Therapists, who also happens to be one I highly trust. She assured me that the last thing they want to do is put any kid back on oxygen, and that they did everything that I did last night when he started showing the same symptoms while I was gone. I know that I am Aidan's advocate, so I may have to take steps to make sure they are doing what they say they are doing, provided Aidan ends up back at the hospital in the near future.

I've tried to not call their hotline because I didn't want to come off as a jerk; however, I very well may do it later today and voice my displeasure if I continue to notice this discrepancy continuing.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now. Just keep Aidan in your prayers as you always have and ask for Aidan to get to come home tomorrow.


No comments: